Saturday, May 17, 2008

Cancer Sucks

Anyone reading this that has cancer, survived cancer, lost a loved one to cancer, or have a loved one with cancer can wholeheartedly agree with that statement.

My grandmother, Mary, has cancer. (You can read more about Mary in previous posts: Mary the Great and Prayers for Mary.) She's actually been battling cancer off & on for 28 years. There have been more years of remission and health than not, but we're now entering the final countdown.

Mary is presently doing injection chemotherapy, and it's kicking her ass. Last night, Mary was admitted to the hospital for pain. Doctors suspect that the pain is due to the chemo (gosh, ya think??). I think the next part of the plan will be to discontinue chemo and begin hospice care. Mary is so very strong, but these last months have made her weak and frail. She is a little, tiny thing now and trying so hard to maintain a positive attitude. When you ask Mary how she is doing, she typically responds, "I'm okay." When she does complain, you know it's been really bad for her. My grandfather, Fritz, is still trying so hard to take care of Mary, but I feel as if he is wearing thin as well.

When you look at Mary, you don't think, "Gosh, she's dying of cancer." But she is. I know we are all dying and that death is inevitable, but I hate that Mary has to suffer through this. She has always had such a zest for life and living, and watching her slowly wane away is painful for all of us. The one thing Mary's always wanted is to maintain a quality of life. That is slowly going away as well. And I know she hates it.

Luckily we were able to spend the night before Mother's Day together as a family. It was Mary & Fritz, my Mom and Rick, my brother Jeffrey, my brother Michael & his wife Danielle and their kids Aeva & Will, and Todd and me. That night was the first night we were all together for over a year. And I feel it was probably our last.

Mary will continue to have ups and downs, but we are all realizing that our time with her is limited more than ever now. I just pray (and ask for you to join me) that God will provide her peace and comfort in the upcoming days/weeks/months - however long we have with her.

I love you, Mary, and I always will.

7 comments:

Jess said...

Hugs sweetie! You all are in my prayers for comfort, strength and peace. Love ya!

amie said...

of course, kristin. you guys will be in my prayers and best of thoughts - especially mary. what a gal.

Newt said...

Oh Kristin, I'm so sorry to hear the Mary has taken a turn. I lost both my grandmothers in 2007, and miss them every day.

Sending love to you and Todd and Mary the Great.

Anonymous said...

You guys are all in my thoughts and in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Kris,

I am so sorry to hear that Mary has taken a turn. I have prayed for her and will continue to do so. This is such a cruel disease and she has fought it with such dignity and courage. I am so sorry and want you to know that I am thinking of you all and keeping you close in my heart.

Hugs to you....xoxo

Amanda said...

My heart goes out to you! Mary will definitely be in my prayers.

April said...

My heart and prayers go out for your family! Mary sounds like an amazing person with such a fight in her. My favorite quote of my Mom's during her battle was, "I may have Cancer, but Cancer doesn't have me" I think it sums up any woman's fight with cancer. I pray your family finds strength and peace thru this difficult time.