Sunday, July 31, 2011

Summer Project 2011: The Guest Suite

Did you ever see the episode of FRIENDS where Monica & Rachel lose their apartment in losing a game to Chandler & Joey?  Monica moves all of their stuff into the guys' apartment, decorates, has everyone over for snacks and drinks, and Monica falls asleep once they get there?  That is me.  Todd went out of town, and I finally got started on my summer project!  


Remember my 2010 project was the family room?  And in 2009 I did the laundry room before our home was torn apart and put back together again?  Did you forget that in 2008, I redid an old rocking chair after IKEA-hacking and setting up my scrapbook armoire/craft area?  Have you been paying attention? :)


Our guest suite is what some call a "mother in-law suite," whereas we have a bedroom and full bath in its own hallway separate from the rest of the living quarters.  Unfortunately, after I sold the bed in that bedroom, it had become a functional bathroom and storage room.  You could walk into the guest room, step over a few things to get to the closet and leave.  It seriously looked like a scene from the show Hoarding: Buried Alive, except things weren't piled quite as high as an insane person's room.  Embarrassing, yet true.


In just over two days for my 2011 project, I cleaned out our guest bedroom, closet and bathroom.  With bunches of help from my mom, I painted the walls, spray painted almost anything in reach, and redecorated the whole thing.  I bought new bedding, removed old and added new furniture, removed shutters and installed blinds, cleaned out everything, made a couple of trips to Goodwill, set out a few loads for bulk trash, reorganized the closet, drawers, cabinets, and more.  I won't tell you what the rest of the house looked like in this process, but it was BAD.


Exhaustion and pride are the only two words I can think and feel at this point!  I have during and before shots, but I'm really too tired to find them right now.  So here is the after:




The walls look a lighter blue than IRL because the color has more of a gray tint to it.  I love it though!  Still to do: curtains, new lamps, paint doorknobs & shower door frame, organize gift wrap into underbed storage boxes, take MIL's clothing, furs, bags, & shoes to resale, send photos off to be scanned, and more I can't think of right now.

Goodnight.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

It looks great Kris!! I love the colors you chose! You were so ambitious! I have some redo projects/organization projects that I need to tackle around here. Wish I had your mojo!!

xoxo
Lynn