The Mack Daddy sunbathing in the shade,
asking "Have you seen my sunglasses?
------------------------
On Monday night, Mackey seemed a little sluggish. His back may have been hurting him because walking appeared to be difficult for him. Todd took him on a walk, and while he was a bit slow, Mack did okay.
Yesterday morning, Mackey was still a bit slow in moving but able to get around. By the time I got home yesterday, Mackey came inside but after making it in, he could not use his hind legs. He would try to get up and his back legs would give out. Poor guy just laid in the same place for a few hours because he just quit trying to get up.
I found some leftover pain meds from Steve's surgery, cut the pill into fourths, and gave Mack some medicine cheese. (Luckily, I realize that the dosage for a 110 lb. dog is different for a 35 lb. dog.) Later I spied Mackey taking a little dognap, but after he woke up there was still no movement.
By 9:00 last night, I was worried and decided to call the ER vet. They were open and not busy. It would be a $90 visit charge + medical fees, but being the wealthy teachers we are Todd and I were both very concerned. I corralled the big dogs while Todd pulled the base (with pillow and Mackey atop it) out of the crate & carried Mack to the car. I grabbed Mackey's meds and blanket, and off we went to the ER vet. I drove so carefully, worrying about bumps in the road being uncomfortable to our poor, grandpa dog. I wiped tears from my eyes as I silently navigated the signal lights, curvy roads, and railroad tracks in our path.
Really, was he going to run away or something? The answer to that: Well, maybe!
At that moment, Mackey stood on all fours and began to walk around, sniffing everything in the waiting room. It was a miracle! (note - sarcasm) Todd and I glanced at one another and shook our heads. I then borrowed a leash from the ladies and walked our super-whizzer-marker-man outside before he peed on everything. While walking Mackey had a bit of a spring in his step, just cruising down the sidewalk for a nightly stroll. As
Luckily we never filled out paperwork . . . or saw a doctor . . . or paid $90. Mackey is going to the regular vet today to see what the real problem is - besides being weird.













2 comments:
Awwww....I'm glad he is ok!
Silly ole dog. I'm glad everything is ok with him.
I know all too well the experience of going to the ER vet...scary and expensive.
Hope all goes well today.
Post a Comment