Day #3 - less than 48 hours post-op. I'm on the 10am - 10pm shift here at the hospital, so I haven't seen Mom yet since visiting hours aren't again until noon. Her nurse is wonderful and nice, but quite the Nazi about the rules. I did go back to tell Nurse Nazi that I'm here, but I was scared to ask if I could just look at my mom! Enough about me and N.N. - now to the patient.
Yesterday's stuff:
- significant pain finally hit today & I reminded her that she knows the day after surgery is worse than the day of
- had the arterial line (like a big IV in her neck)removed
- she was moved in bed which caused much pain
- drank some apple juice, but still preferred ice (one of her fave words right now is "ice")
- told me (via very light whispers) that she "didn't know it was going to be this bad"
- asked about everyone and asked if WE are all okay (I told her not to worry about us & take care of herself, but that's not in her nature.)
Yesterday's stuff:
- significant pain finally hit today & I reminded her that she knows the day after surgery is worse than the day of
- had the arterial line (like a big IV in her neck)removed
- she was moved in bed which caused much pain
- drank some apple juice, but still preferred ice (one of her fave words right now is "ice")
- told me (via very light whispers) that she "didn't know it was going to be this bad"
- asked about everyone and asked if WE are all okay (I told her not to worry about us & take care of herself, but that's not in her nature.)
- Michael (my baby brother) was here a lot yesterday & made Mom grin. She told us she was "proud of us". Again, never about her just about everyone else.
Today's stuff:
Rick (my mom's husband) took the early visit this morning & when he walked in, Mom's bed was empty. It scared him until he saw Mom sitting up in a chair. She was still in pain but a little more alert and her voice was slightly above a whisper. Rick said she sat up for about three hours and was then exhausted & went to sleep after pain meds.
Mom complained yesterday & this morning that it hurt to breathe & doctors determined her lungs have been very slightly compromised (for lack of a better term by me) She's on IV antibiotics, working on lung-strengthening exercises & coughing some (ouch).
I'll go in to check on her at noon & post again later. Until then, another picture. Here's Mom a few years ago while working in the ER - just two floors below us right now.
Today's stuff:
Rick (my mom's husband) took the early visit this morning & when he walked in, Mom's bed was empty. It scared him until he saw Mom sitting up in a chair. She was still in pain but a little more alert and her voice was slightly above a whisper. Rick said she sat up for about three hours and was then exhausted & went to sleep after pain meds.
Mom complained yesterday & this morning that it hurt to breathe & doctors determined her lungs have been very slightly compromised (for lack of a better term by me) She's on IV antibiotics, working on lung-strengthening exercises & coughing some (ouch).
I'll go in to check on her at noon & post again later. Until then, another picture. Here's Mom a few years ago while working in the ER - just two floors below us right now.













2 comments:
Hope your mom has a speedy recovery!
She sounds like a strong woman, K. Sounds like she'll come out of this like a champ. She's very lucky to have such a wonderful and supportive family!
Post a Comment