I have been blessed for almost all of my life to have two Dads. One is my father by birth, the other by marriage. I used to call them Daddy Mel and Daddy Jim when I was young, but I think it was more for others than myself. Now people just have to use the name "Dad" in context to know to whom I am referring. :)
My Dad, Mel, is my father by birth. You'll know who he is because I look like him (with hair & in girl form!). I lived with him as an infant (through 8 months) and on weekends until I was almost 16. He is an amazing man, full of strength, emotion, and sense of family. Some of my behaviors were learned from him --- being organized, yelling at other drivers, and knowing what's important. We've both changed a bit since this photo was taken:

My Dad, Jim, married my mom when I was two. He took me to father/daughter dances and played a toy ukelele for me. He helped raise me and taught me what respect is, how to relax and enjoy life, and how to keep calm and bite my tongue when necessary (something I still have to practice!). He bought me my first two cars, both of which I drove into the ground. And we won't talk about when he repaired the neighbor's fence for me. :) Weren't we cool in our mod, 70s-style home?!

Both of my Dads walked me down the aisle when Todd and I married in March 2007. That was the way I always wanted it, and it was most likely the main reason I made it safely down the aisle! Here's a wonderful picture as the doors to the sanctuary were opened:

So HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to both of my Dads. I love them both, and I feel so blessed to have the love of two men that I can call Dad.













7 comments:
SO very sweet!
AAaaaaaaaaaaaw, your dads are so cute! I love it when you write about your family. You're all so dear and so kooky. :)
I love that you are so close with both of your dads. You are very fortunate to have such fantastic fatherly relationships!
i LOVE that picture of you and your bio dad. so era-good :)
I think it is SO GREAT that whether the 2 of them get along or not, they put your best interest first. I hope one day my dad & soon-to-be step dad can to that for us, especially my 16 year old sister.
Awe...so sweet! Love the all the pics! You were absolutely gorgeous in your wedding dress!
This post made me cry!!!
Post a Comment