From Mom today (9/12/11):
"Dr. Q was in this AM & said progress is happening. He said causing the lung to open [Jeff is on the PEEP/CPAP vent settings to keep his lungs from completely deflating when he exhales] & keeping it that way is showing some progress. He said it was the best improvement he’s seen since Jeff’s arrival. Still slow progress though. This is hard because we all are used to seeing results based on actions we've taken. However this is physiology: you have to take an action, then step back & watch for the results over a period of anywhere from hours to days. So we are seeing some progress but because Jeff & his lungs are living organisms, we have to watch that reaction to the things that the science of medicine does. His vital signs have all been good, his oxygen level has remained in the mid to high 90’s (sometimes even 100%); his color is good; he is still on the ventilator; he is tolerating the tracheostomy very well. The thing he complains about is he wants his shoes, wants to go, wants to eat, wants a Coke. With the trach & a feeding tube down his nose, nothing can go into or past his mouth. So guess what he has to look forward to – just a matter of when. He’s been such a great patient. I would have had this room torn apart & threats of bodily harm to anyone who came near me! He does like the bed when the percussion & vibration modes are on; otherwise forget the bed."
I spent about five hours hanging with Jeff on Saturday. Poor guy is SSOOOOO bored! I took a call from a friend because he was resting quietly when I heard him start smacking his lips. Jeffrey has always been a "sound maker" to entertain himself, so it was nice to hear him back in action a bit. Later, he began doing this hum type rattling sound from his throat. It must've worried the nurse because she called respiratory and the RT (resp therapist) was in the room within a minute or two. He checked all of Jeff's tubes & lines and agreed with me that Jeff was making all the noises. I signed and said aloud, "Jeff is funny," and Jeffrey pointed to his chest to mean that it was him being funny. :) Outside of being very possessive over his tubes, he carefully touches his vent tubes, trach, and the many other things to which he is connected. If something is moved or cleaned, he'll feel around to make sure it's all back in place. Another funny thing he keeps doing is with the NG (nasal-gastric) tube down his nose. He'll stick his tongue out, make it very pointy, and touch the tube with his tongue to make sure it's still there. It's hilarious to watch! I've been asking God to please bring me my brother back, and Saturday felt like he was finally with me. Jeffrey isn't 100% himself yet, but he *IS* on his way!
Another neat thing did happen this weekend. While I was at the hospital, Mom was able to get away for a bit. Her new hobby when escaping the hospital for a bit (outside of going home to shower and do her hair) is shopping. Her shopping consists of buying stuff for the ICU nurses, nurses in her department, and anyone else that she thinks "needs" something. (After refusing Mom's stash of snacks multiple times, I wound up leaving with a 1/2 sandwich and corn chowder for both Todd and me.) Anyway . . .
A few minutes after Mom left on Saturday, a man walked up to the entry of Jeff's room door/window/curtain and stood there. The nurse followed behind him and unlatched the door loose and in came a chair. This was not some ordinary chair. This was a chair that folds in to a bed. I realize that doesn't sound that exciting, but family is not permitted to be in the ICU outside of visiting hours much less to spend the night. That policy has been waived since very few people know how to communicate with Jeff. My amazing Mom has been sleeping in a non-reclining, waiting room style chair since the night Jeff was admitted into the ICU (3.5 weeks ago). She was so excited to see her big, new, cushy chair but even MORE excited to later learn that it laid out flat like a bed!
Since Jeffrey is on "contact isolation" (i.e., we all have to gown/mask/glove up when inside his room), I took an extra gown and wrapped the chair with it. I also took a marker and wrote Mom a message on it for their one month anniversary of Jeff's hospital stay.
I made her sit in the chair for a photo. If you know my mom, you know how tiny she is. Her gown is WAY too big and that chair just ate her alive!
![]() |
| A whole new world! |
Sister needed to entertain herself while Jeffrey pushed her away so he could hum and smack his lips in peace. I had already loaded a bunch of GOOD music on his iPod, so I broke out the phone camera. Exhibit A:
![]() |
| I'm in my gown & mask, but I'm not a scrub. |
Next steps: Continue to wean him from the vent assistance. While he's breathing on his own, Jeff is still intubated for safety measures and to allow the PEEP/CPAP to protect his lungs. After he is extubated (whenever that will be), he will be transferred to a specialty hospital/rehabilitation center (not for druggies!). His 40th birthday is October 1st. We were hoping he'd be home by then, but that is doubtful. However, we WILL be having a huge party for him when he finally gets sprung!
Thanks for your prayers for our Jeffrey. When I say "our" I mean our brother, son, uncle, cousin, nephew, and your friend. The prayers, love and support you have all shared with us is something we can never repay. However, we can share Jeffrey with you. If you ever need a hero, he's your man. And I am SO PROUD of him.

















2 comments:
So glad to hear how well he is doing! You guys are still in my prayers and I am going to hold out hope that he is going to make it home in time for his birthday or at the very least be able to enjoy a nice, big, ice cold Coke.
This was a great update and I am glad that there was some progress to report. I was also glad to read that your mom received a much better chair/bed for sleeping!! I love that Jeffrey still has an agenda... shoes, eating and a Coke (a guy after my own heart). Hugs all the way around and the prayers will continue.
XOXO,
Michelle
Post a Comment