Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Why I'm Still Teaching

I am very burned out with teaching right now. The demands from the state, the district, administration, parents and students often seem insurmountable. This is my tenth year of teaching (6th year this "round"), and the expectations and stress increase each year.

The main reason - and sometimes it feels like the only reason - I teach is because of the people with whom I teach. They are all amazing people. My new team of 5th grade teachers are wonderful to work with each day.

Tonight we had a celebration for the faculty and staff. A couple dozen of us enjoyed time at Main Event. We played arcade games, ate pizza, bowled, and played laser tag. It was such a fun time and a real relief just to be together outside the stresses of school.

Of course, MY laser tag team won both games we played! We were short one team member, but that did not take away from our skill level. I lost my voice from yelling and loudly squawking like a chicken to the other team. Let's just say I did better in laser tag than bowling. That's one course from college that didn't help me at all in real life! ;)

Here's a picture of the WINNERS. (The young girl on the R is a former student - not a teacher!)


Tonight renewed my commitment to the men and women at our school. Now, I just need to renew my commitment to my job. It's tough, but I know I can do it - with the help of those in the trenches with me.

No comments: