Friday, March 25, 2011

In the Midst of It All

About an hour after I left the vet's office without Mindy this past Tuesday, my awesome husband came home during a break he had at work.  I cried in his arms & told him about my time with Mindy and experience in her passing.  I cried some more and Todd joined me in shedding a few tears as well.

Todd and Mindy had a funny relationship.  You see, Mindy only liked ME.  She didn't really care too much for other people.  However, she finally began to trust Todd enough for him to pet her and she even laid in bed with him recently.  If you know anything about cats, you know how it is: They do whatever they want.  :)

Well, after crying my eyes almost swollen shut, I ventured out into the world with my loving husband to get some food.  (To those of you who know me: I went to the vet & lunch without ANY makeup.  That's devastation, folks.)  Todd and I had a good lunch and upon leaving I said, "She's only been gone two hours and it already seems like a lifetime."  Ugh.  More tears.

Todd dropped me off at home, and I ran in the house to get something for him (okay - it was cookies) so he could get back to work.  As always, I was greeted at the door.  It was only Pippin, though.

I called for Steve, thinking he might be asleep in the back of the house or outside.  No Steve. 

I got Todd's cookies & looked for Steve again.  No Steve.

I run out to the car, crying yet again, yelling, "Steve!  He's gone!  I can't find him!"  I hurry my bawling self back into the house while Todd follows.  No Steve.

Racing around, I run into our bedroom to see if he's under the bed sleeping (which he only does at night).  No Steve.

That's when I hear it.  A little scratching sound comes from the door to our bathroom.  Steve had gone in there to rustle through the trash & got himself locked in.  Idiot!

In the depths of my sadness after losing Mindy on Tuesday, I still have . . . Steve.  Crazy dog always makes me smile!


They didn't get too close without Mindy batting Steve in the face.  :)


No comments: